The little town of Meadow rests on the western alluvial slope of the Pahvant Mountains in eastern Millard County. With a population of about 230 people, Meadow is a quaint little town supporting traditional values and living conditions. Meadow was named because of its lush meadowlands created by the waters of a nearby mountain stream and the productive marshlands farther to the west.
The original founding of Meadow began early in the year 1857 when a group of four families settled on what is called the “Ridge,” which is a gravelly-remnant created by the receding waters of ancient Lake Bonneville. It was here that the four families, led by James Duncan, built dugouts to serve as their first living quarters. That first year, these families successfully raised about 35 acres of wheat held communally in a common field, and watered using the waters of Meadow Creek.
The families did not stay for the first winter. Fearing trouble with the local Kanosh Indian tribe, they returned to Fillmore where most had living arrangements outside Fort Fillmore. The people of Fillmore were worried as well, since the new settlement was located on the Kanosh Indian Reserve set aside in 1849. Only a few years before, in January 1855, Chief Wakara of the war-like Ute tribe had died on the banks of Meadow Creek of pneumonia, effectively ending what was called the Walker War. Chief Wakara was entombed with two of his favorite wives, two young Indian children, some of his favorite horses, and many of his prized possessions on a mountain rock slide east of Meadow on a formation known as the “Old Pig.”
In years following 1857, and with the waning threat from the local Indians, Meadow began to grow and thrive. New families began to arrive, and with water supplies now beginning to be stressed, the settlement was moved one mile east to its present location. Until about 1865, Meadow consisted of just a few houses located along Main Street covering about two blocks east and west.
A new log public building was built on Center Street that doubled as a church and a school. All public meetings and church events were held there. Eventually, a new brick church was built on First East and Center, and the old log building was torn down.
By the turn of the twentieth century, Meadow had about 400 residents, but with a severely-limited water supply and several severe droughts, the population has stabilized to its present level.
Agriculture–farming and ranching, has been the mainstay of economic activity for Meadow since its inception, and continues to this day.
Lat: 38.885935 Long: -112.410606